Grosse frayeur après un surdosage à la vitamine D d’un nourrisson : “On a failli le perdre” !

vitamine d

These parents came very close to a true tragedy. Following the advice of their chiropractor, the parents gave their babies another brand of vitamin D. They thought that the dose of the drug It was similar to the one they had before.

However, they were wrong and that mistake nearly killed their baby. In fact, after a while, the baby began to feel bad. His parents then took him to the emergency room where he aware of his mistake.

A vitamin D dosage error

Alicia’s baby, barely 6 months old, take regularly vitamin D. At first, his parents gave him ZymaD. However, since the supplement was causing cramping, they turned to his chiropractor for advice.

The specialist advised them to look for another medication. He also told them to be careful, because even a small mistake could dangerous of the kids. Alicia and her husband followed her advice. They searched the Internet and found the Sunday Natural.

The drug’s contraction seemed to match that of ZymaD, because the label said “10,000 IU”. So they bought it. What they unfortunately did not know was that there was a slight difference. Sunday Natural’s “10,000 IU” dose does not correspond to one milliliter as with ZymaD.

Corresponds to one drop. Alicia and her partner could not know, because the packaging was in German, and neither of them I didn’t know the language. They then gave their son vitamin D without suspecting that it would harm his health.

Vitamin D: side effects

After a few days, Alicia notices that her baby not going well. Stops gaining weight and finds it hard to roll onto your stomach. Not knowing what to do, her mother and husband take her to the doctor. Only there do they realize her mistake.

The doctors told them that the baby suffer from nephrocalcinosis linked to an overdose of vitamin D. If they had delayed taking him for tests, the story could have ended very badly.

“We almost lost it. (…) If we put things coldly, we tell ourselves that we almost killed our baby. This perspective haunts me even more than it makes me feel guilty”, laments Alicia.

What she went through affected Alicia a lot. Based on this experience, you now want educate as many parents as possible. In particular, given the risk associated with an overdose of vitamin D.

The right reflexes to adopt

Parents should provide their baby with a sufficient amount of vitamin D. And this, in order to avoid diseases such as rickets. In fact, a properly supplemented baby rarely finds growing problemsme. This explains why pediatricians prescribe vitamin D from the earliest days of the child.

In addition, ANSES invites parents to be aware of the risks associated with a vitamin D overdose. In fact, if the supplementation is not adequate, it could cause serious health problems. As was the case with Alicia’s baby.

To sensitize the largest possible number of people, ANSES then issued a reminder on July 25, 2022. He offered some tips for parents on how to get the right dose of vitamin D. Here’s what the agency recommends:

  • Consult a doctor before giving vitamin D to a baby.
  • Do not change the dose unless prescribed by a doctor.
  • Always be careful when giving vitamin D to the baby
  • Avoid giving various products containing vitamin D to the baby

According to ANSES, it is better they prefer drugs to food supplements. The reason is that they guarantee “Clear information regarding dosage, precautions for use (…) and overdose”.

Please note that in 2021, several cases of hypercalcaemia in infants have been reported. In question, the intake of food supplements rich in vitamin D. This prompted the ANSES to sensitize young parents.


#Grosse #frayeur #après #surdosage #vitamine #dun #nourrisson #failli #perdre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.