Photo Credit: Guillaume Poumarede
For their fourth and final EuroBasket 2022 warm-up game and World Cup 2023 qualifiers next week, the French men’s team took the lead shortly before half-time to win 90-71 against Belgium in Montpellier.
The France men’s team was received 4/4 in preparation. Two days after their triumph against Italy, the Blues beat Belgium in Montpellier in their last trial before the start of official matches. Indeed, on Wednesday 24, Vincent Collet’s players host the Czech Republic in Bercy for the first match of the second qualifying round for the 2023 World Cup. This Thursday night, they were left hanging at half-time. Defensively tender at the start, they rallied in the second quarter to take the lead and ultimately win 90-71.
Retin Obasohan leads Belgium against an initially listless Blues
Because the Belgians held out for the tricolors for almost 20 minutes. Led by future ASVEL fullback Retin Obasohan (7 points on 3/5 shooting, 2 rebounds and 2 assists at the end of the first quarter, 14 points at halftime and at the end of the game), he features on the rebound (9 leads to 6 , including 3 attackers, after the first 10 minutes), the team from the flat country started well (13-24, 8′) against a passive defense. Enough to run in the lead in the first half. ” We didn’t have the right attitude at the beginning, we got off to a bad start, he printed a little bit of smugness.Sorry coach Vincent Collet. ” We had kept up the good performance on Tuesday night. We did not respond present in the aggressiveness and even in the construction at the beginning of the game“. But thanks to a greater intensity thanks to the bench, the French came back. The executives continued, like Rudy Gobert’s great dunk (12 points on 5/7 shooting, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks for a PIR of 17 in 24 minutes) over Ismaël Bako (8 points on 2/8 shooting and 7 rebounds). ), which gave the advantage to his people. Enough to take over just before the break (44-35). ” We got stronger as the game progressed.“Commented the future pivot of the Minnesota Timberwolves. ” it was a good test“.
– French basketball teams (@FRABasketball) August 18, 2022
A good test because this bad start provoked a reaction. ” We came back much stronger in the third quarterappreciates Vincent Collet. Right away, we got our hands on the game by being more aggressive, tougher and putting the ball in. » Led by a Thomas Heurtel (13 points in 5/8 and 6 assists for a PIR of 18 in 18 minutes) as bleeding as he was against Italy, with an always opportunistic Terry Tarpey, a group that settles (22 assists) and a top management ( 11/26 for 3 points), Vincent Collet’s players quickly took a 20-point lead. The advantage was maintained throughout the period to finally win 90-71. ” In general, we controlled better and were more in line with what we wanted in the second half.“, noted Vincent Collet, who called the bad start ” wake up call“. An ideal teaching before the start of serious things.
Click here to access the meeting statistics
What to remember from the match of the French team against Belgium:
- The French team started with little defensive intensity, before waking up.
- At home in the Hérault, Thomas Heurtel shows a very high level of play up front. Enough to ensure creation and offensive danger on the baseline.
- Evan Fournier is experiencing some difficulties in these warm-up games, with clumsiness (10 points on 2/7 shooting) and waste. As a veteran, he’s certainly waiting for the competition, the real thing, to pick up speed.
- Struggling on Tuesday, Amath M’Baye was better on Thursday (6 points at 2/4 shooting in 13 minutes). Good news for the blues.
- Thrown in the fifth of the second half in substitution for Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot, harassed by fouls, Terry Tarpey III (8 points in 3/5, 3 rebounds and 2 assists for a PIR of 11 in 12 minutes) took advantage of his opportunity again in the role expected by Vincent Collet. With an added touch of direction.
- On the other hand, TLC (3 points at 1/4 in 15 minutes) -quickly frustrated by mistakes- and Guerschon Yabusele (4 points at 1/3 in 19 minutes) are capable of contributing more to the tricolor attack.
- Mouhammadou Jaiteh and William Howard seem far in the rotation. They didn’t play until the fourth quarter.
August 18, 2022 at 10:19 am
BeBasket comment policy – Basketball news in France and Europe
Share your comments and opinions in a good mood and above all respect others! All spam will be banned!
#Une #nouvelle #bonne #note #pour #les #Bleus #vainqueurs #face #Belgique #BeBasket