Barbecue: pourquoi il ne faut absolument pas utiliser de brosse métallique pour le nettoyer

Presse Santé

As we dust off our grills for warmer weather, researchers warn us to check food before eating, as it can be contaminated by the metal bristles of grill cleaning brushes. If swallowed, they can cause injury.

Wire bristle brushes used to clean barbecues can cause serious injury if swallowed. A study published in the journal Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery estimates that between 2002 and 2014 there were more than 1,600 emergency room visits as a result of wire brush injuries.

While wire grill brushes can be an effective cleaning tool before or after a barbecue, the bristles can easily fall off and end up in people’s food. If swallowed, these small metal strands can cause serious injury to the mouth, throat, and gastrointestinal area.

A small, unrecognized silk can lodge in various parts of the body, whether it be the throat, tonsils, or neck area. If the hair passes through these areas without snagging, it can become embedded in the esophagus, stomach, or intestine. The biggest concern is that it will lodge in these areas and get stuck in the wall of the intestine. The hairs could migrate out of the intestine and cause more internal damage. Wire brush injuries are a potential safety concern for consumers.

Be attentive before starting your barbecue

For their study, Dr. Chang and his colleagues wanted to get a sense of the extent of injuries from wire-bristle brushes in the United States.
To do this, they analyzed data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS). From this information, the researchers were able to estimate the number of emergency room visits that occurred due to wire brush injuries between 2002 and 2014. The team found that 1,698 visits occurred as a result of such injuries during this period. Most of these injuries were to the mouth, throat, and tonsils, with some requiring surgery.

The researchers note that the incidence of wire brush injuries between 2002 and 2014 is likely even higher, because the researchers did not consider injuries reported by urgent care centers and other ambulatory health care centers. The researchers hope their findings will help raise awareness among manufacturers and consumers about the potential health risks associated with wire brushes.

How to avoid wire brush injuries

As barbecue season approaches, wire brush injuries are more likely to occur. Here are a number of tips to avoid a visit to the emergency room.

– Before cleaning your grill with a wire brush, check that the utensil is in good condition. Throw it away if there are any loose hairs.

– Use other cleaning methods, such as nylon bristle brushes.

– Check your grill grates before cooking food.

– Check grilled foods after cooking to make sure there are no stray hairs.

If precautionary measures fail and people experience swallowing problems or pain after eating something that has been broiled or grilled, they should seek medical or emergency attention and inform the doctor that they attended a barbecue or just plain food. Grill.

* Presse Santé strives to transmit health knowledge in a language accessible to all. In NO CASE, the information provided can not replace the advice of a health professional.

Do you like our content?

Receive our latest publications for free and directly to your mailbox every day.

#Barbecue #pourquoi #faut #absolument #pas #utiliser #brosse #métallique #pour #nettoyer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *