business news PS5 price increase, KOTOR Remake, MultiVersus… the business news of the week
Sales figures, study purchases, financial statements, developer transfer window, investments… if these topics interest you, you’ve come to the right place. We bring you an update on last week’s business news.
- Sony increases the price of the PS5 in France and other countries
- Star Wars KOTOR Remake Changes Hands
- MultiVersus: 20 million players and top sales
- Briefly in the business news of the week.
Sony increases the price of the PS5 in France and other countries
It is an unprecedented decision that Sony made this week: to increase the price of a console launched almost two years ago. In fact, the PS5 sees its price increase in seven markets, including Europe, where it is now necessary to have €549.99 to acquire a model with a Blu-ray player, and €449.99 for the Digital Edition. A change that Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, justifies by “the global economic environment”marked by “high rates of inflation as well as adverse trends in the values of different currencies, which impact consumers and generate some pressure in many industries”.
“Due to these difficult economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price of the PlayStation 5 in certain markets in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, as well as Canada. there will be no price increase in the United States”details the CEO on the PlayStation Blog. Therefore, the United States is the only major market that is not affected. Undoubtedly due to an exchange rate issue, as the euro fell below the parity threshold with the dollar. Next, we detail, the new prices are already effective, except in Japan where the increase will take place on September 15.
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Player – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (as of September 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray drive: ¥54,980
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥44,980
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray drive: 4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive – $799.95 AUD
- PS5 Digital Edition – $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN$12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – $519.99 CAD
This surge comes as the PS5 remains hard to find in stores. Jim Ryan also remembers that “(Our) top priority remains improving the PS5 supply situation”.
Last month, we also saw the price of the Meta Quest 2 virtual reality headset increase by €100 for similar reasons. “The cost of manufacturing our products has increased”had indicated the signature of Mark Zuckerberg in his press release.
Earlier this week, Sony confirmed that PSVR 2 will be available in early 2023, but its price has not been specified. The firm also introduced the high-end DualSense Edge controller, again without announcing the price.
Note that Microsoft has confirmed, in the columns of windows centerdoes not plan a price increase for its Xbox Series. by his side, Nintendo had already said that it had no intention of increasing the price of the Switch earlier this month from Nikkei
Star Wars KOTOR Remake Changes Hands
Last week, Embracer Group announced that one of its AAA projects has moved to another member of its extended family of studios, without elaborating. All eyes naturally turned to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) Remake, which had been known to be in trouble ever since the reveals made by Jason Schreier last July.
It was again the Bloomberg journalist who took up his pen to confirm the thing: first entrusted to the Texans of Aspyr, who worked on it for more than two years, the reinvention of the cult RPG is now in the hands of “one of Saber Interactive’s Eastern European studios”. A transfer that is not surprising given that the management of Saber Interactive had already announced, in July, that they would come as reinforcements before the development problems came to light.
According to Schreier’s sources, executives from Embracer, Disney, and Sony, who invested in the project by giving themselves an exclusive temporary console, were not happy with the progress of the project. This is the first time that Aspyr, founded in 1996 and acquired by Embracer in early 2021, has been awarded such a large project, the studio having worked primarily on ports and remasters in the past. Saber Interactive, whose studios have distinguished themselves by signing World War Z, SnowRunner, Evil Dead The Game or even the Switch port of The Witcher 3, seems to have more resources to meet the immense expectations surrounding the game.
This change will undoubtedly have a big impact on the development schedule. Announced in September 2021, the game does not yet have an official release date, but shouldn’t land for at least two years according to Schreier.
MultiVersus: 20 million players and top sales
Launched in open beta a month ago, the free MultiVersus has attracted more than 20 million players, has announced Warner Bros this week. Obviously, the entire challenge of the American firm will be to retain this player base in the long term and make them give in to the sirens of microtransactions.
Obviously, many of them have already taken out the credit card. MultiVersus climbed to the top of the US July sales chart thanks to its Founder’s Packs, sold between €39.99 and €99.99. Thus surpassing Elden Ring, which dominated the ranking since its launch last February, LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Call of Duty Vanguard, MLB The Show 22, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Digimon Survive, Minecraft and F1 22 .
Based on an elective roster of popular characters from numerous Warner Bros licenses (DC Comics, Looney Toones, Game of Thrones…), MultiVersus will evolve throughout its seasons of content, for example with the arrival of Rick & Morty, Black Adam and Stripe during Season 1.
For Warner Bros, this success adds to that of LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga, the second best-selling game of the year in the United States behind Elden Ring and ahead of Pokémon Legends Arceus, Horizon Forbidden West and MLB The Show 22. And is that the American firm will close the year in style with the premiere of Gotham Knights, scheduled for October 21. Which makes up for the postponements of Hogwarts Legacy and Suicide Squad, both pushed back to 2023.
Briefly in the business news of the week.
- And 4 million sales of Sunbreak, the extension of Monster Hunter Rise that reached 11 million.
- Bethesda veterans founded the Something Wicked studiowhich introduced its open world RPG magic chant at gamescom. The team is led by jeff gardenerwho spent nearly 15 years at Bethesda on Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76, as well as charles staples, who worked on Fallout New Vegas and The Outer Worlds at Obsidian. the chinese giant NetEase invested $13.2 million in the study.
- Good start for Farthest Frontier, the city builder from Crate Entertainment (Grim Dawn), which has achieved over 250,000 sales since its early access release on Steam on August 9th.
- the SELL released a 100% Switch top 5 for week 32 of the best physical sales in France. We found in order Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Strikers Battle League Football, Nintendo Switch Sports, Animal Crossing New Horizons and Xenoblade Chronicles 3.
- Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain or even Thief are now officially in the hands of Embracer Group, which has completed the acquisition of Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal, announced last May.
#PS5 #price #increase #KOTOR #Remake #MultiVersus #business #news #week