A little over two months before the opening of the tournament, the result seems final. According to a global survey conducted by YouGov for Amnesty International in 15 countries, including France, among 17,477 people, more than two-thirds (67%) of adults surveyed want their Federation to speak out publicly on respect for human rights in Qatar. which is hosting the next World Cup (November 20-December 18). In France, this figure rises to 70%, as in Norway, which had notably organized a national debate, in its authorities, about a possible boycott -finally rejected- of the competition, in case its team had qualified. NFF president Lise Klaveness had even challenged FIFA leaders and the Qatari organizing committee on the issue at the Doha congress on March 31.
The Amnesty survey is a new way of questioning the FFF on the subject, while its president, Noël Le Graët (80), never wanted to enter into the controversy over this sensitive file, with very political contours. After the tournament draw, on 1Ahem April, in Doha, it was said “very happy that we come to play in Qatar”. “They tried very hardthe Breton had explained. The country has made enormous progress on a social level, by establishing a minimum wage (representing the equivalent of €270). It can’t always be compared to France, which has been a democracy for a long time. » The human cost – in suffering, abuse and death – of this World Cup, the first organized in the Middle East, is the subject of a heated debate: tens of thousands of foreign workers have contributed to the construction of the necessary infrastructures for the organization of the tournament, since its controversial attribution to the small peninsula of the Gulf, on December 2, 2010.
“A true French exception” for Amnesty
“This 70% of the people who want the FFF to take a position (on respect for human rights in Qatar)it is a very strong message addressed to himexplains Lola Schulmann, head of defense at Amnesty France. There is a real French exception in the fact that we don’t talk about it within the football authorities. This ostrich policy is not sustainable. For our part, we will continue to keep up the pressure. » However, on April 19, a meeting took place, several times alternated, between “3F” and Amnesty France on these issues.
This international study also reveals that almost three quarters (73%) of those surveyed (71% in France) want FIFA to use the revenue generated by the next World Cup, which is counted in billions of euros, “to compensate the workers who suffered during the preparation of this tournament”writes the NGO. This figure rises to 84% among those who are likely to watch at least one of the 64 matches in the competition. This idea has its origin in the victim compensation mechanism established after the Rana Plaza disaster in April 2013 in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh; the collapse of this building, which housed several thousand workers working for major western brands, had killed more than 1,100 people.
The minimum amount of this “compensation fund” claimed by Amnesty, with other human rights organizations (#PayUpFIFA campaign, launched last May), is 440 million dollars (about 440 million euros). Amnesty International explains that FIFA, chaired by Gianni Infantino (who lives partly in Qatar), told him “study this proposal” but what about “So far he has not responded publicly”.
In early May, during a conference in Los Angeles, Infantino had released: “When you give someone work, even in difficult conditions, you give them dignity and pride”. The head of the world body had also insisted on the introduction of a minimum wage in Qatar. The small emirate’s Ministry of Labor has already recognized that “still had work to do”while explaining that“No other country has advanced so much in labor reforms in such a short time. »
#survey #Qatar #challenges #FFF